Ketogenic Snack Ideas

One of the great things about the Keto diet is that you aren't hungry all the time!

People that have been on this diet for a while sometimes only eat 1 meal in the day. Some do 1 meal and a snack.

And the great thing about this is that you aren't starving yourself by doing that! You body is just fat adapted! If you want to read more about that, read THIS POST or visit http://www.insuliniq.com. That website has a ton of info that helps explain everything a little better than I can:)

Anyways. When I started the ketogenic diet I felt hungry all the time while my body was pretty much going through carb withdrawals. I knew I wasn't hungry but it was helpful to snack on things that were high in fat to help get me into ketosis faster.

These are some of the snacks that saved me!

Hard boiled eggs
Just be sure that you are eating the whole egg! The yoke is where most of the fat is so you want to eat the whole thing, not just the egg white!

Hard boiling eggs was always super difficult for me, for some strange reason. It was just so intimidating to time everything perfectly to get the best tasting hard boiled egg!

I used my pressure cooker for this for the first time and let me tell ya...it was amazing!
If is is much faster than on the stove and they come out perfect every time!

I cooked 5 eggs at a time but you can do more too!
Put the trivet inside the cooker
Add your desired amount of eggs to the pot (make sure they are stacked evenly)
1 Cup of water
Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes
transfer to ice water immediately after they are finished cooking in the pressure cooker


I told you, they come out perfect!!



String cheese
Really, who doesn't love string cheese?! It is such a yummy and easy snack. Especially because it requires absolutely no prep!
I just grab in it in the morning, write my name on it with a sharpie (that is a must at my office. If it's out on the counter or doesn't have a name on it...it's fair game), and put it in the fridge at work until I'm ready for my snack!


Pepperoni chips
One of the things I miss about carbs is the crunch! I love crackers and chips and you just can't have those on a low carb diet! Another struggle while transitioning to this diet is that you often don't get enough salt! This is an easy way to add a little salt back into your diet.
Pull out a cookie sheet and line up some pepperonis on it. Bake them at 400 degrees until you see them getting crispy! The time varies based on how crispy you want them to be, I cook mine for about 5 minutes




Zucchini chips
Another way to help my crispy cravings! Slice this pretty thin so they get a little crispier or cut bigger slices for a softer chip, its up to you!
Before baking these, sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top of them to add a little more flavor, trust me...it's good!

You may be wondering why I chose the picture before I baked them...
Well when I put them in the oven I forgot to set a timer and I forgot about them! They were completely burned to crisps!! I was so sad that I didn't even bother trying to make a new batch hahaha



Lunch meat/cheese roll-ups
I actually used this for my lunch most days, instead of a snack. But it can totally work for both!
I would pick whatever lunch meat sounds good that day, cut a slice of cheese and roll it up! Simple as that!
I had to keep these away from my boss. One of the times I brought these to work he ate half of them! But that's what you get when half of the office was trying to be keto at the same time!


Spoonful of peanut butter
Now this isn't the most keto snack out there... but it's delicious! Some peanut butters have more carbs than others so just be careful of that! Most servings of peanut butter are 2 Tbsp, I would usually just have 1 Tbsp at a time so there really wasn't that many carbs in the snack! Usually just 2-3 g of carbs, which isn't bad at all! (Especially when you take into account how dang delicious it is!!!)




Greek yogurt
This is another one that isn't the most ketogenic snack out there. Most of the Greek yogurts I've seen have about 11g of carbs per serving. So this may not be a good option for you, depending on how many grams of carbs you are allowing yourself to have on a daily basis.
Sometimes Greek yogurt can be pretty boring. While they are in season, raspberries are a great option to add some flavor to your yogurt! Raspberries aren't very high on the glycemic index like most other fruits. Just be careful with how big your serving is of them, it's easy to get carried away!


I'd love to hear if you have any other keto snack ideas! Commend below or message me directly!

No comments